Beginners Guide to Payment Fraud Detection & Prevention
Over 50% of merchants have seen increase of payment fraud in 2020 and adversaries are using more and more complex strategies.
I felt it was time for a concise and comprehensive beginners guide to fraud prevention aimed at eCommerce merchants.
- eCommerce Payment Fraud Trends
- Payment Fraud Key Concepts
- Lines of Defence
- Fraud Screening Tools & Rules Engines
Download your eBook here
Payment Fraud Key Concepts
The key areas of fraud that you need to know about. Whether you’re a product manager, engineer or working in a payments team. While they are basics there are quite a few and they’re important.
- How payment fraud happens
- It’s the card not the account
- The two types of payment fraudsters
- Fraud controls
- Fraud alerts vs. chargebacks
- Where to get fraud alerts
- Payment authorisation vs. capture
- Fraud features
Lines of defence
A pragmatic framework covering the key detection and prevention methods available. Armed with this knowledge you will have a strong grasp of the ways fraud can be detected and prevented.
- Fraud spike detection
- On site behavioural detection
- Off site passive fraud checks
- Pre-checkout risk assessments
- Your payment processor
- Your orchestration layer (if used)
- Fraud screening tools & rules engines
- On site active fraud checks
- Fraud screening
- Chargeback dispute management
- Offsite monitoring
Duncan Malcolm is a futurist veteran product manager — bringing the dark art of fraud strategy, tactics and technology into the light.
Reading First Six Last Four is a bridge to help bring new perspectives and ideas to the tough and sometimes unrelenting world of fraud.
Our community consists only of payments and fraud managers who work at verified merchants to prevent educating the wrong people. To allow open discussion only thing that other members can see is your first name.